Immigration and refugee law
Legal Aid Ontario (LAO) may be able to provide help with certain immigration and refugee matters.
- To apply for a Legal Aid Certificate for an immigration and refugee law matter, you must visit a Legal Aid Ontario office to complete an application and a financial test.
- If you financially qualify for a Legal Aid Certificate, LAO may be able to pay your lawyer for the following types of cases:
- Hearings before the Refugee Protection Division of the Immigration and Refugee Board.
- Detention reviews.
- Sponsorship appeals.
- Appeals of deportation orders.
- Pre-Removal Risk Assessment (PRRA).
- Admissibility or Examination hearings.
- Humanitarian and Compassionate claims (rarely).
- Judicial Reviews of certain decisions.
- In some cases, you may be required to pay back LAO some or all of your legal fees.
- Refugee clients who apply for LAO assistance will be given a document called Client and Lawyer Rights and Responsibilities, which helps protect claimants and better define their relationship with their lawyers.
- A Legal Aid Certificate is not available for the following immigration matters:
- Assistance in obtaining landed status or checking status of application with Immigration.
- Sponsorship application of a person inside Canada.
- Renewal of Minister's Permits, Student Visas.
- Problems obtaining OHIP.
- Initial sponsorship application of a person outside Canada.
- If you do not qualify for a legal aid certificate, you may be able to get assistance with your immigration law matter from a law student at a legal clinic run by a Student Legal Aid Services Society (SLASS)
- Decide if your legal problem relates to getting help with an immigration or refugee law matter.
- Read Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) to learn more about immigration and refugee law.
- Follow the Steps for instructions on how to get assistance with an immigration or refugee law matter.
- Review the Resources to find new and in-depth legal information about immigration and refugee law issues.
- See the Links for news and other helpful websites.