We provide referrals, legal information, legal advice, and representation before Administrative Courts and Tribunals, Tenant Duty Counsel at the Landlord Tenant Board, community development and law reform. We also provide free presentations to community groups on the areas of law practiced by the Clinic.
We give advice on the telephone in the areas of law listed below. We also give advice by appointment or on a walk-in basis in some areas of law. Please call reception to determine whether you can walk-in or to schedule an appointment. There are no financial restrictions when asking for advice.
The Clinic is open Monday to Friday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm.
Walk-in hours are Monday to Friday 8:30 am - 4:00 pm.
Commissioning hours are Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays: 8:30 am - 1:00 pm; and Tuesdays and Thursdays: 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm.
Notorizations are by appointment only.
- Our Clinic
- Canada Pension Plan – Disability
- Employment Insurance
- OW and ODSP Overpayments
- Disability Tax Credit and Registered Disability Savings Plans
- Small Claims Court
Areas of Law
- Tenant Rights, including Tenant Representation (tenants only, landlords visit the Landlord Self-help Centre)
- Ontario Disability Support Program Benefits (ODSP)
- Canada Pension Plan Disability (CPPD)
- Canada Pension Plan Survivor Benefits
- Criminal Injuries Compensation Board (CICB)
- Workplace Safety &Insurance Board (WSIB) and Workplace Safety & Insurance Appeals Tribunal (WSIAT)
- Ontario Works (OW)
- Employment Insurance (EI)
- Employment Standards
- Human Rights
- Small Claims Court
- Consumer Law
- Senior Law
- Wills & Powers of Attorney
- Domestic Violence Legal Aid Advice Referrals
- Commissioning and Notarizing of documents
- And more ...
We DO NOT cover criminal or family law. Private Bar lawyers accepting Legal Aid certificates cover this work.
We offer representation to low income residents of Durham Region. So you must bring in proof of income; photo ID; and the most recent letter pertaining to your claim in order for us to assist you. Any other relevant information; such as previous letters or your doctor's name and contact information will also be helpful. Our staff determines eligibility by asking about income and assets. Representation is available for the Social Benefits Tribunal (Ontario Works and Ontario Disability Support Program), the Workplace Safety & Insurance Board and the Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeals Tribunal, Canada Pension Plan Disability Appeals, Pension Appeals Board, Employment Insurance Appeals, and the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board.
Duty counsel is available for tenants with Landlord and Tenant Board matters.