Centre for Financial Literacy
The Hub is developing a Centre for Financial Literacy, with the support of Durham College and the Region of Durham. The focus of this Centre is to provide low income residents access income stabilizing opportunities, information, and education on financial literacy.
The ultimate goal with the Centre is to improve the financial circumstances of clients of the Hub to hopefully prevent them from encountering the legal issues they typically encounter in the Clinic. See The Case for Financial Literacy for more information.
- CRA information on common income tax slips
- CRA information on Tax Credits for people with disabilities
Budgeting and Money Management
- CRA information on Registered Education Savings Plans (RESP)
- SmartSaver RESP guide, multi-lingual information on RESPs and FREE MONEY for children’s education
- Canadian Foundation for Economic Education resources to help parents estimate the costs of a child’s education:
- Tax Free Savings
- Tax Free Savings Accounts (TFSA)
- Retirement Planning
Credit and Debt
- Equifax Credit Report Order Form (PDF)
- Transunion Consumer Disclosure
- Understanding Your Credit Report and Credit Score